Tooth color fillings also called as white fillings are the mimic and made to restore the natural look of your tooth structure. It can restore fractured and decayed teeth. In addition it can cosmetically change the size, color and shape of the teeth. This helps in closing gaps between teeth. It repairs chipped teeth and makes it appear more straight and even.
Advantages of White fillings
- It closely matches appearance and natural tooth color.
- They are mechanically retained by the chemical bond and do not require placement of pins, grooves and slots.
- It restores 85%-95% of original strength of the tooth
- They harden in seconds.
- Tooth sensitivity after white fillings is minimal
- If damaged they can be repaired
Components of Tooth-Color Fillings:
The white filling or tooth colored fillings are made of composite resin. A composite is a material in which the filler particles are bound together and encased in a hard matrix material. BIS-GMA named acrylic is used in it fliud matrix form which is hardened around the glass filler to make the resin fillings. Trace metals such as gold, copper and cobalt are used to yield the color to the glass and opacity is added by titanium oxides and zirconium.